Menlo Park, California
July 2013 – Present
- Make Facebook better
- Manage and develop team of content strategists focused on Facebook’s Platform and Open Graph products
- Lead Facebook’s Platform content strategy for new product development and existing product refinements
- Collaborate with product managers, designers, engineers, and marketers to enhance product quality and build trust for user and developer audiences
- Uphold and refine content standards, advocating for user experience and information architecture best practices at scale
Principal Experience Architect
REI (Recreational Equipment, Inc.)
July 2012 – July 2013
- Develop enterprise standards and governance for content in order to create breakthrough experiences
- Structure and model content for findability/reusability within a component content management system
- Develop and socialize business cases for improved content experiences and applications
- Advocate for innovation, creative problem-solving, and cross-channel content experiences
Agile SEO/Inbound Marketing Program Manager
REI (Recreational Equipment, Inc.)
December 2008 – July 2012
- Grew organic search by 160% over three years to nearly 50M visits and $100M in sales
- Doubled share of traffic and sales from organic search, even as other programs grew at record rates
- Co-organized an agile, cross-functional workstream of 12 focused on search, navigation, and SEO
- Persuaded leadership to embrace web performance, content management, and content marketing
- Managed a $200k budget, contracted with external strategic partners, agencies, and consultants
Associate Director, Digital Marketing
The Nature Conservancy
August 2004 – November 2008
- Led worldwide web marketing, advertising, social media, and production, winning two Webby Awards
- Directed strategy for SEO, paid search, and digital engagement, driving millions of dollars in donations
- Created the Conservancy’s first social media channels, raising $500,000+ to date on Facebook/Causes
- Developed strategy for implementing core technologies, including web content management system
- Managed and developed two direct reports, coordinated several vendor and partner relationships
Fellow, Barbara Thomas Conservation Fellowship Program
The Nature Conservancy-Australia Program
Melbourne, VIC Australia
February 2008 – May 2008
- Developed web marketing infrastructure and fundraising capacity for Australian conservation nonprofits
- Created/facilitated an interactive three-day workshop focused on web strategy, tactics, and planning
- Consulted with conservation nonprofit partners throughout Australia to develop custom strategies
- Mentored staff to develop careers in marketing, SEO, social media, analytics
User Interface Architect
New Target Internet Design & Development
March 2004 – August 2004
- Created design and redesign concepts for web sites based on client specifications
- Produced dynamic web sites, creating all code (X/HTML, CSS and JS), designs and layouts
Web Communications and Content Manager
March 2003 – March 2004
- Developed strategy and communications plan for web content focused on conservation practitioners
- Maintained standards and promoted suite of web sites with distributed, international content developers
- Redesigned web site, information architecture to enhance appearance, ease-of-use, and findability
- Designed print publications and marketing collateral: annual reports, business cards, books, etc.
Peace Corps Volunteer
U.S. Peace Corps
Burkina Faso, West Africa
June 1999 – November 2000
- Lived as an active member of a remote village community, speaking French and two local languages
- Helped diverse village communities assess health needs, conduct education, avoid endemic diseases
Lead Information Developer, Groupware
IBM (International Business Machines)
June 1997 – April 1999
- Managed two direct reports, editing their work and mentoring their career development
- Wrote and structured printed books and online help in SGML for AS/400 business users
University of Washington Information School
M.S. Information Management
Avg. GPA: 3.89
- Strong focus on information architecture, metadata, taxonomy, ontologies, business management
- Attended week-long Information Architecture intensive focused on user experience, cross-channel strategy, and emerging trends in IA
- Frequent guest-lecturer on SEO, internet marketing, content strategy, and web analytics
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Certificate, Human-Computer Interaction
Avg. GPA: 4.0
Troy, New York (via satellite)
- Strong focus on graphical user interfaces, usability testing, and heuristics
- Emphasis on user interface design, web development, usability and software agents/wizards
Michigan Technological University
Avg. GPA: 3.5
- B.S., magna cum laude, Scientific and Technical Communication
- 6-month internship with IBM; focus on information development, technical writing
- Colman, J. (2013, December 30). “Prove the Value of Your Content with an Audit”. In B. Clay and M. Newlands (Ed.), Content Marketing for Professionals. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform.
- Colman, J. (2013, December 25). How to Become a Content Strategist. David versus Planet Earth.
- Colman, J. (2013, September 4). Inside The Facebook Design Officers’ Training Corps. Facebook Design Blog.
- Colman, J. (2013, April 16). Data Sets You Free. Confab Events Blog.
- Colman, J. (2012, August 29). Lead from Within: 10 Strategies to Become a Successful In-House SEO. SEOmoz Blog.
- Colman, J. (2012, August 10). Agile Marketing – Whiteboard Friday. SEOmoz Blog.
- Colman, J. (2012, July 23). How to Find the Best Coffee in Seattle During #MozCon. SEOmoz YouMoz Blog.
- Colman, J. (2012, July 7-onward). Jonathon Colman. (Personal blog and web site)
- Colman, J., & Brigida, D. (2010, April 26). “How Successful are Your Social Media Efforts?”. In T. Hart (Ed.), Internet Management for Nonprofits: Strategies, Tools and Trade Secrets (pp. 181-202). Wiley.
- Colman, J. (2008, July 23). Web Traffic Spikes: When You Need Attention Now. NTEN Blog.
- Colman, J. (2008). Buy Sustainable Coffee. The Nature Conservancy.
Selected Media Citations
- Chong, R. (2012, November 30). How Nonprofit Social Media Can Connect Supporters To The Cause. Fast Company CoExist: World changing ideas and innovation
- Chaudhuri, S. (2008, December 11). Innovative Giving: The Nature Conservancy and (Lil) Green Patch. Fast Company.
- Hiskes, J. (2008, November 3). Facebook, Twitter, MySpace become latest way for organizations to connect with donors and raise awareness. Puget Sound Business Journal.
- Todorova, A. (2008, April 21). Money for Nothing. The Wall Street Journal.
- ASAE (2007, October 27). Expand your audience through social media. Associations Now.
Selected Interviews, Chats, & New Media
- Society for Technical Communication. (2014, February 26). And the 2014 STC Summit Keynote Speaker is…. notebook.stc.org.
- Odden, L. (2014, February 3). Content Strategy Interview with Jonathon Colman of Facebook. toprankblog.com.
- Hawthorne, L. (2013, October 2). eTail Gets to Know Jonathon Colman, Former Principal Experience Architect, REI. theetailblog.com.
- Content Strategy Forum Helsinki 2013. (2013, September 2). Content Strategy at Facebook: An Interview with Jonathon Colman. csforum2013.com.
- Stahl, A. (2013, February 7). Interview with Jonathon Colman. jobshadow.com.
- Mintz, T. (2013, January 25). SEMpdx SearchFest 2013 Mini-Interview: Jonathon Colman. sempdx.org.
- Countey, C. (2013, January 14). Mentor Stories: Jonathon Colman: Information architecture and SEO. marketingchris.com.
- Blue Soda Promo. (2012, September 28). SEO/Internet Marketing Quiz: Are You Smarter Than the Industry’s Best?. bluesodapromo.com.
- Beck, B. (2012, September 26). Talking Agile Marketing With Jonathon Colman. benjaminbeck.com.
- Seeborg, K. (2012, August 7). Connect with your audience through storytelling – an interview with Samantha Starmer of REI. Slideshare Blog.
- Madeyski, A. (2012, July 23). Meet your SEO: Jonathon Colman. alessiomadeyski.com.
- Doherty, J.F. (2012, July 17). Interview with Jonathon Colman of REI. johnfdoherty.com.
- Mintz, T. (2012, February 14). SearchFest 2012 Mini-Interview: Jonathon Colman. SEMpdx.org.
- Lee, J. (2011, May 16). Large-Scale E-Commerce SEO: An Interview with REI. Bruceclay.com.
- Chronicle of Philanthropy (2008, July 15). Building Your Online Presence on a Tight Budget. Philanthropy.com
- Kanter, B. (2008, February 24). Social Media Secrets from a Green Geek. Beth.typepad.com.
- Green, H. (2007, July 31). Eco-Geek of the Week: Jonathon Colman. Treehugger.com.
- 2012 ASIS&T New Leaders Award
- 2012 University of Washington Benjamin F. Page Fellowship recipient
- 2010 REI Anderson Award: a peer-nominated award given to top-achieving employees at REI
- 2009 13th Annual Webby Awards for Best Charitable Organization / Nonprofit Web Site
- 1998 IBM Client/Server Divisional Award for excellence in technical documentation
You can find several professional recommendations on my LinkedIn profile.